Monday, February 27, 2012

Grace in Goodwill Hunting

I enter the thrift. My path set before me, I know exactly what I'm looking for. I know exactly where I am headed and you cannot pull me to the right or the left. I'm focused. My eyes are on the prize.
My eyes scan up and down back and forth, bottom to top...I'm looking for the ever elusive vintage retro ugly pretty unchipped uncracked pyrex glassware.

Many trips end with disappointment.
Some end with a nugget...maybe a coffee mug or canister.
And some end with me smiling from ear to ear...pretty pyrex wrapped in newspaper tucked in bag.

This weekend was all of the above. Friday, nothing. Saturday morning, a pyrex canister that I wasn't thrilled about, but was happy to find, some crazy daisy mugs...mostly Corelle Livingware and two Pyrex ones. But Saturday night was my score. I dragged Mr ToddlerWhisperer to one more thrift while we were on a child free excursion. And on a cart...they hadn't even made it to the shelf...3 beautiful Woodland casserole pieces. The prices were not amazing, but I was so happy to find pretty, shiny pieces. When I got to the register, the lady surprised me and gave me such nice discounts on each piece...I think she couldn't believe the asking prices for ugly ol' dishes...so I paid only about $3 each piece.



So, how can I find grace in  my Goodwill hunting?

I think I need to look at my walk with Christ as I do my treasure hunts to the thriftstore. It's exciting, a thrill, I'm on the hunt! I can go to the thriftstore five days a week, and you know what? There's always something different there for me. I almost always find something new there. A nugget...or the grand prize, it's about perseverance and returning. And seeking. Had I not made the choice to turn into the parking lot on Saturday night, I would not have walked away with the treasure I was seeking.

Now, if I can approach my morning Bible time with that same enthusiasm!! Thrilling over insights that the Holy Spirit reveals in the Word. Seeking Him with a fervor that can't be swayed to the right or to the left.

Isaiah 55:6 says, "Seek the Lord while He may be found. Call upon Him while He is near." A little more insight into this verse is found in Wesley's notes on this passage:

55:6 Seek - Labour to get the knowledge of God's will, and to obtain his grace and favour. While - In this day of grace, while he offers mercy and reconciliation. Near - Ready and desirous to receive you to mercy.

It's not always easy to seek. There may be obstacles that are in the way of making it a daily habit. But press on, do the work. He's present. He's offering his mercy and reconciliation. Receive it.

This post is part of a link up to my friend over at Gracelaced. We're finding grace in the every day...and you can too.
Grace Laced Mondays

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, a good thrift store find is the best! And yes, there is treasure in God's word! There for the taking....thanks for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for your goodwill find! I was hot on the pursuit myself on Saturday but came away empty handed. Not so with the Word. If I really put all my heart, soul, mind, and strength into it, I always, always find nuggets beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Seriously...true TREASURE. My I long for it like I long for a killer deal. Like I long for that amazing find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the analogy thank you for sharing this with us. As a fellow Thrifter and seeker of God, I can relate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat comparison! Glad you got a great deal to be thrilled about too! Wait, how did I miss the Fenton plates listing?!
    Noelle

    ReplyDelete